1 (edited by H&K 2006-12-20 18:45:51)

Topic: DirectX 9 Stopped working

As Serge Petrowski Posted I too have never been able to get DX8 to work, but all the other did. Now since the update DX9 also has stopped, Both with "Unhandled Exception:Unhandled memory Exception Error" in irrlichtdevice.bmx at the return of Create

Type IrrlichtDevice Extends IUnknown Final

Function Create:IrrlichtDevice(driver:Int,Size:Dimension2di,bits:Int=16,bFullscreen:Int=False,bStencilbuffer:Int=False,bVsync:Int=False,evt:IEventReceiver=Null)
        If evt=Null Then evt=New IEventReceiver ' set handle to 0
------------>    Return createFromHandle(Irr_createDevice(driver,Size.handle,bits,bFullscreen,bStencilbuffer,bVsync,evt.handle))
    EndFunction

This is just useing the demos under Bmax 1.24

Re: DirectX 9 Stopped working

greetings H&K smile  my first thought, be sure you do not have any older Irrlicht.DLL files in your path that may be getting accessed before the newest one.

i did a couple of new things with this build.  i built using codeblocks as opposed to DevCPP.  im also using the OCT 2006 DX SDK directly as opposed to the devpaks version.  have you updated your DX lately?  both DX are working fine on my 3 machines.  if updating doesnt work for you (or you would like not to update) i will try and get an OCT 2005 DX SDK built and see if that helps.

given the error thats occurring, it seems like a mismatched DLL.  if you didnt have the correct DX version with the correct Irrlicht DLL you would get an error saying something like D3DX9_xx.dll not found.   another thing you can try is to rename the XXab.dll file.  if that is missing and the newest Irrlicht DLL is being used you should get an error the ab.DLL cant be found at runtime.

3 (edited by H&K 2006-12-20 20:13:27)

If I rename the d3dx81ab.dll then I get the file not found error, but when I put it back I get the unhandled error.

As to the dx9 I have d3d9.dll dated 4/08/2004 and your d3dx9.dll from the 19/05/2006, the computer isnt used for anything except Bmax, and your mod worked on Monday.

I have no idea about SDKs, the lastone I had was DX6, and that was only because it was free on a comp mag

I checked before posting, but just to comfirm, I did a full search for the irrlicht.dll and libirrlicht.a and the only ones are ones in system32 and core.mod repectively

(Cor, if you look, Ive been a member nearly as long as you have. hahahahaha)

smile  please take a peek in your windows system32 dir.  you should see files named something like d3dx9_xx.dll, ie d3dx9_24.dll, d3dx9_25.dll, ... d3dx9_31.dll.  do you have any of those and if so, whats the largest one?

thx.

I have one file named D3dx9*.* in any directory, and that is the d3dx9.dll from your 19/05/2006 1.1 download, which as noted is in system32.

So the largest is 825K

(I get the sneeky fealing you dont belive that I only use the Comp for Bmax... you sneeky doubter you. Honest it has Gmax, Blender, office, Milkshape, Bmax, BLIDE, Blitz3d, Protean and zonealarm on it)

There are 11 files that begin d3,

d3d8.dll
d3d8thk.dll
d3d9.dll
d3dim700.dll
d3dim.dll
d3dpmesh.dll
d3dramp.dll
d3dxof.dll
d3drm.dll  All dated as 04/08/2004

d3dx8.dll (Now in bin)
d3dx9.dll Both dated 19/05/2006
and
d3dx81ab.dll Dated 10/02/2002 (from your download of 20/12/2006)

7 (edited by H&K 2006-12-20 22:44:08)

Irrlicht Engine version 1.2
Microsoft Windows XP Personal Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Using renderer: Direct3D 9.0
SiS M760GX SiSGRV.Dll 6.14.10.3654
Was not able to create Direct3D9 device.
Was not able to create DIRECT3D9 device.
Could not create DIRECT3D9 Driver.
~>Unhandled Exception:Unhandled Memory Exception Error
~>
and
Irrlicht Engine version 1.2
Microsoft Windows XP Personal Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Using renderer: Direct3D 8.1
SiS M760GX SiSGRV.Dll 6.14.10.3654
Was not able to create Direct3D8 device.
Was not able to create Direct3D8 device.
Could not create DIRECT3D8 Driver.
~>Unhandled Exception:Unhandled Memory Exception Error
~>

Errrm, Ive never run the DX insall. But if you think it is that, I will rush to my main PC and instal DX from ... well Im bound to have something.

Ok. NWN2 d3dx9_24 to 30 the largest is d3dx9_30 at 2,333k

still get the same error

The link downloads a downloader, which just tells me that DX9c is installed already

Am I supposed to do something with d3dx9_30?

(Downloading DirectX 9.0c Redistributable, just to be sure, and thats a pain to do on a 56K)

thx for doing that.  very interesting because while i was waiting i was installing the DX runtime on my ME box.  it also has a SiS video card and it also still failed.  did you happen to try a demo EXE and DLLs on your main PC?

in the meantime, im working on building via DevCPP for this one.  we'll see if that helps.

thx for your patience on this.

9 (edited by H&K 2006-12-20 23:03:26)

My Main PC is in the process of its 6 Mths reinstal, (I personaly reinstal everything every 6 Mths, dont trust anti virus/spam or disc cleaners). And ATM only has Win Xp Service pack 2 and all its drivers on it (oh and spellforce 2, cos I got bored).

Will install Bmax and stuff tomorrow and look see. This is all my fault, Gforce chip extra £100, so..... do I buy it, no, buy stupid SiS, worse chips since chips were invented. Stuck with computer thats lightening fast at opening Office, but rubish as games machine. (OK so justification for buying it was as portable work machine, but still anoying)

unfortunately i have to hit the sack.  we shall pick this up again tomorrow!  have a good evening... or whatever is appropriate for the time there smile

12 (edited by H&K 2006-12-21 11:33:38)

OK, did a total reinstal of everything, (Including Clean instal of Bmax 1.18 and removing MinGW as enviroment variable),  no Joy, niether of the dll builds work in dx9 or 8.

On my main machine everything works perfectly. I would conclude that its a problem with Irrlicht itself (ie not your mod) and SIS chips (or shared memory, which gets my vote).

Not a major hasstle as sis chips are rubbish, you need to find someone with a ati/nvidia chip with shared memory as see if they have the same problem.

I quite happy to be useing just opengl on the laptop, (Well not happy, but it still works), as it is when said and done just a development pc, and well under speced.

Thaks for the effort youve put in.

(Re version redownloaded both the 1.24 upgrade and your 12/19  today). oh and as to time, my last post last night was at 5am

14 (edited by H&K 2006-12-22 17:24:54)

I had tried al that already, having had experiances before where the windows settings messed with devolopment settings, but no joy. I changed all your examples to and from full screen and tried them all in both 16bit and 32bit win depths.

I do notice from that link that in 1.2 16bit has been dropped, but maybe I missunderstood.

Anyway I think that that blokes problem was a lack of memory in his card. A MX 440, whats that have 32Meg? or Maybe only 16Meg. His windows screen was simply taking to much memory.

Which leads back to my beleif that its a sharred memory problem.

15 (edited by mmhnemo 2006-12-22 18:53:05)

Hello,

I'm having similar problems. Most examples get unhandled memory errors(01 works). I deinstalled, reinstalled etc.
When i comment out this line:

device.getCursorControl().setVisible(False)

many examples start working.

Maybe this could be a hint to you i hope smile

16 (edited by H&K 2006-12-23 22:18:01)

Thanks mmhnemo.

Its interesting that you are getting an exception about the Cursor, if it happens to me Ill let you know if I find a better solution to the problem.

The problem I am having is a lot sooner in the setup though. What is happening to me, (and only on my Laptop), is that at the actual creation of the device, irrlicht is crashing out. It happens when I try to create a DX9 or DX8 device.

As you see from the link Gman posted someone else has had a similar problem, whereby the device would only create if the desktop was in 16bit mode. In my case DX8 hasnt worked ever, yet now DX9 isnt working.

Its not a major problem, as its only on a rubish Sis chip with shared memory, and it works on my main computer.

I doubt very much that its a problem with Gmans mod, and as you can see he made a special build just for me.

Fortunatly because the command set is the same in all five modes I can continue programming in the knowlege that the final program will probably still work in DX on its target machines.

greetings mmhnemo smile  im not sure what that would be.  as H&K pointed out this seems like a bit different issue.  i would try updating DX (you may have already) and also your graphics drivers.

Hi H&K and GMan smile

Thanks for answering. I see my problem isn't related to the topic.

I will try to find out what causes the error but so far i am content with whats available ( a little mousecurser in the center of the screen doesn't hurt during development).
The only other thing thats buggy is the q3 map demo which runs but only shows a small portion of the geometry depending on where you look - it seems like it's culling the geometry around the center circle(maybe 200px radius) of the screen.
Might have to do with the camera (fisheye?). I really have no idea.

I have updated DX but not my gfx(ATI X850) driver yet.
If i have some hard facts that warrant a bug report i'll open up a new topic or just keep it in here if H&K doesn't mind smile

greetings

mmhnemo

@mmhnemo

Hoho.
I installed C++ express and the full irrlicht package, (to see if DX9 failed in c, it does), and guess what?

My Bmax instalation started to give the exact same error as yours that is
device.getCursorControl().setVisible(False) gives unhandled memory error

I was about to do a clean anyway, and didnt think to see which was causeing it, but now that they are both gone, I dont get the error anymore.

So... somthing about the real Irrlicht install or Visual Express is causeing it. (Sorry I cannot be more exact)

Ok addendum to the DX9 and DX8 failure. The example you have were it asks if you want shadows, well if you say Yes, then it doesnt crash.
It only works at 1 fps like. (This is too be expected as the comp is rubbish), but the point is that if bStencilbuffer:Int is set to true then doth the DXs work. No idea why like. But you might wink

thats odd.  i think it is something that hopefully is fixed in the next version of Irrlicht.  i have seen some mention of it on the Irrlicht forums as well.