Topic: MacOS soon!

check it out kids smile  looks like im going to have to either invest or employ a Mac owner smile

http://www.irrlicht3d.org/pivot/entry.php?id=212

Re: MacOS soon!

I have a Mac and am a developer, so might be able to help you with this one, depending on the work involved.

wow that would be much appreciated AaronK smile  as long as the Irrlicht distro includes the libirrlicht.a file for MacOS, it would more than likely entail making sure the BlitzMax compile works and runs.  due to the decent interface/implementation seperation Irrlicht has, when i port the new version with MacOS supported it shouldnt be too much of a change to the existing codebase as far as BlitzMax is concerned.  now if the .a file is not included that is a different story.  then we need to actually compile Irrlicht itself on the Mac to get the .a and then move on to BlitzMax.  in any case, when the Mac distro comes out and i have time to do my implementation analysis i will let you know.  thanks again for the offer smile

Mac version is out! Hope it's not a massive task for you to get it working.

groovy smile  looking now.  all my other projects will be on hold until this is done so (without looking at it yet) i would expect within a week.  after my initial analysis i will give a better estimate.  thx for letting me know!

heres the situation.  with a few minor changes to the the .h files, the Mac interface is no different than the rest.  this, in theory, means that we copy the new .h files into the include dir of gg.Irrlicht, recompile the Irrlicht mods in BlitzMax for Mac and bingo!  good to go.   the problem is this.  the MacOS distro did _not_ come with the libirrlicht.a (i dont think there are DLLs for Mac) file even though the announcement stated it did.  this means that someone will need to try to compile it on the Mac.  now, i have a older G3 Mac with OSX i purchased off ebay on the way, but it wont be here for another 6 days.  this means i wont be able to test anything until then unless someone feels up to the task (AaronK?).  i hate to pawn work off, but i think the BlitzMax Mac community would really enjoy this.  if anyone is interested, feel free to download the Mac distro:

Irrlicht v0.14 for MacOS

there is a MacOSX folder in the source\irrlicht folder with an xcode project folder in that.  if i can be of any assistance, please lmk.

Good work. Unfortunately I don't have a Mac so can't test it. Maybe you could post a topic about it on blitzbasic.com?

just by luck of the draw, my Mac is arriving today (Valentines Day) so i will not be able to get to it until tomorrow.  FedEx does say its on the truck for delivery and i have plenty of time Wed and Thurs so if all goes well, by this weekend you Mac folk will have a new toy to play with smile

Heyas!

I've compiled it on my PowerPC G5, hope you can still need it. wink
(btw, I had to download over 800mb for Xcode 2.2 to compile it, why don't they just release updates?)

Release & Debug Libs

I hope, that the MacVersion of the wrapper will be finished soon wink

Good job, gman!

hamZta

ooooh baby!  this is really gonna help me out.  thx a bunch!

Any news about the Macversion? Please sad

sry.  im posting in several forums right now trying to get this resolved.  since you rebuilt the .a files... i think there may be a compatibility issue linking .a files built with 2.2 and linking with my 1.5.  could you post steps that i could use to get a project to compile the .a with 1.5?  here is the post of my current issue:

ok.  the compiler now finds the .a file using the import statement:

Import "libIrrlicht.a"

this is different than the syntax im used to for win and linux:

Import "-lIrrlicht"

when buiding a sample, i now get a whole bunch of the following type of errors:

ld:/Applications/BlitzMax/mod/gg.mod/irrlicht.mod/libirrlicht.a(Irrlicht.o) malformed object (stray relocation PAIR entry (1) in section (__TEXT.__eh_frame))

the (#) seems to change possible denoting line #.  also, the (.o) file changes as well.  i have no clue smile  thoughts i have are this:

a) trying to link to .a file built with xcode 2.2 using xcode 1.5

b) the difference in the Import statements (not specifying the -l option)

any insights out there?

13 (edited by gman 2006-02-22 12:19:04)

update:  received the following from hybrid in the Irrlicht forums:

Now, version problems could be an issue. But did you used ranlib on your .a file? Mac compilers need an index inside object collections. Alternatively add an s to the options of ar when grouping the .o files.

maybe a rebuild of the .a files is in order hamZta?  not sure if you performed the mentioned "s" option or ranlib?  whatever those are smile

edit: been reading up on ranlib and i may be able to try that out on the files already provided.  will let you know how that goes.

14 (edited by whogben 2006-02-26 02:40:44)

Ive got 2.1.  I'll try compiling it if I can figure out how (never done this before) and send you what I get.

[edit, i dont know how to make it create the right file.  It creates libMacOSX.a for me.]

i would like to try that file out Will if you wouldnt mind zipping it up and emailing it to me.  also, were you able to use the Xcode project provided by the Irrlicht distribution or did you make a new one?  im looking for directions on how to make a new project in Xcode 1.5.  i gave it a couple of tries but failed miserably sad

opening the existing one worked fine (im not sure how to create a new one of this scale).  Here's a link to the libMacOSX.a:  http://www.oWoHo.com/libMacOSX.a.zip  GL!

thx for trying Will.  again though, i get the malformed object errors.  unfortunately 10.3 cannot run Xcode 2.0+, but i did read something interesting.  supposedly, Xcode 2.2 has support for earlier versions.  if you could, please peruse the settings in Xcode and see if there is a way to support earlier versions of OSX when building.  if so, lets try 10.2.x first and then 10.3.  im pretty sure its out there, just need to figure out how to turn it on.  i got this info from the release notes:

http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes … Xcode.html

EDIT: here is some more very interesting info:

http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes … tings.html

check out the "compiler settings" section.  the first thing we might actually try is the GCC_VERSION setting.  if this is set to 4.0 that may be the issue.  probably needs to be at its lowest setting (3.3).  also, try changing the MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET to the 10.2 setting.

im getting excited.  i think we are onto something.

ok - heres a version compiled with MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET set to 10.1:  http://www.oWoHo.com/LibMacOSX10.1.zip

thx will smile  unfortunately it will be several hours before i can try it out sad  like around 13 hours...

aaaargh!  it was a no-go Will sad  i get the same malformed object error.  could you try the GCC 3.3 compile?

21 (edited by whogben 2006-02-28 12:40:42)

The GCC option wasn't there, so I added it but I can't be sure it added right - anyway, I set it to 3.3 and on build it gave me 53 errors, most of which were "error: template with C linkage.

WIthout the GCC set to 3.3 it built fine - and with the GCC option set to 4.0 it also built fine.

PS: With deployment target set to 10.1 and GCC set to 3.3 it failed to build in the same manner.

Are we waiting / hoping that your new computer might be a solution, or all we all out of ideas atm?

Are we waiting / hoping that your new computer might be a solution, or all we all out of ideas atm?

currently i have exhausted all options except rebuilding the project in Xcode 1.5.  i failed the first time i tried last week and havent done so since.  if i could get past the goofy malformed object errors im pretty sure i could get it working.

Any gprogress?

i have rebuilt the project in Xcode 1.5 and with a few minor changes to the code i was able to get it to compile.  it seems a bit small at 800K so im not sure im including everything...  but hey!  it compiles smile  unfortunately though it is not recognizing the createDevice() function that takes the IrrlichtParameters instance.  when linking it fails with an error saying it cant find it.  this is puzzling since i know it compiled the CPP file that would have that function in there and the function declaration is in a different location but there as well.  it should all be found.  anyways, thats where im at.  a little but further, but still a no-go.