Topic: Request :D

Re: Request :D

greetings DaY smile  i cant seem to track down the specific fix(es).  do you happen to have the links to the Irrlicht forum posts that have the fixes in them?  i desire to keep the base Irrlicht mods "pure" in the sense that they are unmodified from what is provided by the standard Irrlicht distribution, but that doesnt mean i cant subclass the existing terrain class an implement the fixes there.  i will do my best to see what i can do here.  if you could get me some links that would be great smile

thx DaY.  ill see if i can get that patch applied and Diff the file to see the changes.  ill hopefully let you know in a day or so.

cool thx

a lot of changes in this patch.  there would be no way i could implement this in a subset of classes.  if i could get the patch running of a BAT file though i think id be good.  would just need to remember to run it.  problem is right now, i have yet to be able to get the patch to run.  will give another update soon.

ok atm im using models for land scape witch is poly city as im no modeler just converting heighmaps to models lol

8 (edited by gman 2006-02-22 08:47:34)

hi DaY.  i got the patcher running now, but the actual patch.exe is failing an assertion when trying to run that patch.  ill keep trying.

EDIT: a little online research revealed that the windows patcher doesnt like unix LF only endlines.  a quick fix to that and now the patcher ran.  it did reject some of the changes so im not sure if some of the fixes have already been implemented.  i dont have time for a comparison or rebuild now, but i will get to it tonight.  if all goes well, what you will get is a new libIrrlicht.a file to link in with the changes.  it should not affect the mods at all.

cool thx alot smile

i did finally get the .a file built last night, but unfortunately there are some incompatibilities somewhere in the mods.  i need to do some debugging and find the issues.

i didnt realise that it was gonna be sutch a pain but i do think it will be useful to every one as a 256x heightmap limmit is just silly imo

okay...  i see the problem but am yet determining the fate of this venture.  im leaning towards doing it.  the problem is there are around 4 interfaces that have different parameters now and this directly affects the mods.  if i change them, i am changing from the base version of Irrlicht in not only the DLL and .a, but in the mods as well.  this means that the mods will no longer work out of the box with the stock .a file and i must provide a new .a for both windows and linux (and hopefully mac) for both DX and OGL only versions.  its a bit more work for each release.  it is a worthwhile change, and i will only need to change the mods once, its just breaking from my original design goal of keeping the mods straight Irrlicht.  will let you know tomorrow.

k...  heres what im going to try to accomplish over the weekend.  im going to use the diff program to make my own .patch files for the mods.  that way i can keep the mods original, but provide a modified version if desired.  it may take longer to get updates this way, but i really want to keep the mods straight Irrlicht.

i have learned how to make patches now using the diff.exe from a handy UnixUtils download.  this means that after i update the mods to support the new parameters and return values, i can create a .patch file.  i can run this after every new version much the same as the 32bit.patch to quickly create a custom version.  if all goes well, by tomorrow evening i will have a build for you.

thats very good news thx for all the effort you have put in

not quite there yet.  sorry for the delay.  had some stuff come up tonight and didnt get the time i wanted to work on this.

its ok just take your time with stuff smile

glad i could help smile  thats screenie is beautiful!

nice one gman.

one query though.  This will stop working when you release the next version of ggIrrlicht, won't it?

Cool.  Thankyou.  Just wanted to clarify on this as it's not a good idea for me start using features which will become obsolete in the next version.

Thinking about it, if you release the patch file then the user could apply the patch on future versions.  I'm probably missing something but it's just a thought on how to save you some time.  I know what it's like,  I'm barely getting any time to do work on my rpg due to other commitments.

Hello, I tried the patch, but there was no joy for me. 1st I was requested for d3dx8ab.dll and later for d3dx92ab.dll, after some search in google, I put the dlls, but couldn't got it to work. Any idea of why?

Thank you.