Topic: Coming to Irrlicht from B3D - Animation

Hello, complete newcomer to Irrlicht here. Is there a good guide anywhere to mesh animation in Irrlicht? I'm more interested in skeletal than MD2 or whatever it's called. In particular I'd like to know if it's possible to do smooth tweening into a new animation, like B3D allows.

Re: Coming to Irrlicht from B3D - Animation

greetings DuncanC smile  i dont know of any definitive resource but i will try to point you in a direction and hopefully get you started.  the API documentation from Irrlicht (see post in docs forum) is always a good place to start.  IAnimatedMesh (T_irrIAnimatedMesh in mods) is where you will want to begin looking.  everything is done through interfaces but you can "cast" the IAnimatedMesh instance into the proper subtype.  to do this you first need to determine what type the animated mesh is.  use the getMeshType() method on T_irrIAnimatedMesh to do this.  once you know the type you can do something like:

Local xmesh:T_irrIAnimatedMeshX=T_irrIAnimatedMeshX.createFromHandle(basemesh.handle,False)

where basemesh is your instance of T_irrIAnimatedMesh.  by doing this, you can now access the model format-specific methods and functionality.  for more info on the model-specific functionality see the documentation on the following types:

T_irrIAnimatedMeshMD2
T_irrIAnimatedMeshX
T_irrIAnimatedMeshMS3D

once you load the mesh into a scene node then you access features of it through:

T_irrIAnimatedMeshSceneNode

3 (edited by DuncanC 2006-01-05 10:51:11)