Topic: Irrlicht 1.5 examples?

Hi Gman,

First of all thanks for your wonderful wrapper. I'm thinking of purchasing blitzmax (I already own blitz3d) to take the next step in its development but the lack of a 3d engine is making me hesitate, but all the info I found about your integration with Irrlicht is quite motivating and encouraging since I'm already an Irrlicht user, So I'm downloading blitzmax's demo and will try v1.30 of your wrapper for Irrlicht 1.5. Installation seems painless, however I'd love to see the samples ported to bmx language in action but the only ones available are for irrlicht 1.3.
Is there an updated package with sample files for Irrlicht 1.5?

Kind regards,

Alvaro F. Celis

Re: Irrlicht 1.5 examples?

Well I found you link 1.3 example files as working with the latest version, but they don't sad Only the ones using the software renderer (example 01) works, any other one just freezes there and remains running as a ghost process.
Example03 (customscenenode) reports this error:
"Compile Error: Identifier 'createFromVals' not found"
And so and so and so on.  sad

I hope you find the time to check them and try to get them fixed. wink

regards,
ALvaro

4 (edited by afecelis 2009-02-24 22:15:30)

Great! Thanks a lot  big_smile That's a great start. And yup, I'm also very excited to see the power or Bmax and how well it behaves with wrappers like yours. I'm downloading your first updated examples right away!

Thanks for the quick response and please let us know of any updates. You're doing (since a long time ago for what I've read here wink ) a great job bringing Irrlicht to bmax users, or is it the opposite way?  wink Indeed, it's something you ought to be proud of.

regards,
Alvaro

Ps. Projects like yours reaffirm I'm making the right move getting bmax. It's really an aggregated value to it big_smile

Gman, one thing.
If I leave the code in to select the video driver, when I run the generated executable it doesn't start but remains running as a process, eating resources. Examples only work if I assign a driver (be it opengl or D3D) in the beginning, getting rid of the selection code. Weird, but I got no problem assigning the render driver without choosing it wink

regards,
Alvaro

greetings smile  for the driver selection issue, under bmax program menu, build options, make sure "build gui app" is _not_ checked.  if you run the built EXE from the command line you will now see the driver menu.  press a letter an enter and it should go.

if you are build and running the EXE from within bmax, you need to type in your driver selection in the "output" tab and press enter.

Thanks Gman. I'm using BlidePlus as IDE, I got it yesterday since they say it's so good for Bmax. After I become a bit more familiar with the Blitzmax demo and the Irrrlicht integration, I'll also buy blitzmax, meanwhile I'll sqeeze the 30 days of the trial out!  wink. I'll also wait for your whole package of examples to make sure the code is fully compatible with Irrlicht 1.5.  wink

I'm going to check the option you suggest in the Blitzmax IDE options to see how things go.

Thanks for the help.

Alvaro

9 (edited by afecelis 2009-02-28 15:26:18)

awwwh! great! smile Thanks Gman. I'm downloading both the new mod and the examples right ahead. Great work! you move fast! Looking forward to the full set of examples to try them out.

Regards, and thanks

Alvaro

Excellent! thanks a lot! I still had to remove the driver selection code from the beginning. If I leave it in, the example compiles fine but nothing runs. Using only 1 driver (opengl/DX) fixes it for all of the examples except for example "10.shaders", in which the shader language file has to do with the driver chosen, so it's a bit harder for me to fix with a single render driver wink

But all the others that were crashing before, even with a specific driver assigned, are now running fine and fast as hell!  big_smile

thanks for all the help.

Alvaro

you are very welcome smile  im still thinking the driver selection issue is related to the compile mode setting in the IDE.  ive never used blideplus so im not sure where to change the setting at.  the setting needs to be changed so the compile is in console mode (as opposed to GUI mode) since the driver selection appears in the console similar to the C++ examples.

one really cool thing you will hopefully see is the near 1-to-1 conversion between the C++ and BMAX versions.

yup, I noticed that, it is indeed extremely cool!  big_smile
You' right, I just noticed all examples are being compiled as win32 apps and not console apps! Cool! I'll try again and find the option to compile console applications.

cheers,

Alvaro

13 (edited by afecelis 2009-02-28 18:21:34)

You nailed it!  big_smile The option to compile as console in Blide is not among the compiler's options but in the "Publish settings". Now everything is running perfectly, no code changes needed in the examples! Awesome!  big_smile

cheers,
Alvaro

PS. One last question, in examples that load animated meshes like Sidney or the fairies, why are their animations playing so extremely fast compared to their speed in normal Irrlicht?

Gman, forgot to ask. Any plans on integrating Irrklang for audio?  wink

Using Bmax's audio module... cool!
Do you have, or could you be so kind to create, an example in which you mix them both? (Irrlicht wrapped code+ bmax's audio loading).
What library does bmax use for audio? Would it support positional 3d audio of nodes placed in irrlicht?  wink

questions, questions!  wink

regards,
Alvaro

BMAX has 2 built-in audio modules.  free audio which is written by BRL and an OpenAL module.  there is an OpenAL3d module using the OpenAL module.  free audio can simulate using depth and pan effects.  there are also numerous other modules available (found on the BMAX forums).  one is BASS, there is also a maxmod module although im not sure what the sound system is underneath.

as for an example, check out the code in the BMAX help docs for the SetChannelDepth() function.  using depth, pan, volume and the position of the active camera, you can write an animator that will handle 3d-like sound.

18 (edited by afecelis 2009-03-27 21:40:41)

Hi Gman, long time.
Thanks for the audio-modules explanation. I finally made up my mind and purchased blitzmax so I'll start checking some of its examples to see how things work natively and then try to incorporate some of the stuff into Irrlicht. I also ran into an Irrklang wrapper for blitzmax somewhere so I might also be checking it.
I was wondering if you ever completed adjusting the rest of the 1.5 examples? I want to check some camera clipping issues, skyboxes, etc. Let me know if you find the time to check them, or can I use the older examples as reference for this? I don't think things've changed that drastically between version 1.3 (latest full examples available) and 1.5  wink

regards,
Alvaro

nice! thanks a lot Gman! Your efforts are very appreciated  big_smile Downloading and checking them out immediately.
cheers!

Alvaro

Hi Gman,

Back with a couple of Mac Os questions  wink
Do you always create your mods around official Irrlicht releases? or are SVN versions supported? I'm getting this error now:
"The Irrlicht library version 1.5.1-SVN does not match the mod version 1.5"
Should I use the official 1.5 instead?

regards,
Alvaro

greetings smile  my apologies on the delayed response.  yes i only build for the official releases.  its too much for me to keep up with the SVN versions.