Topic: MacOS X support

I assume that the wrapper doesn't support MacOS X. I'm currently having Irrlicht running on MacOS X using Xcode and on Windows using Dev-C++. Being able to develop in BlitzMax for both platforms simultaneously woulde be so much nicer. Any idea how hard it would be?

Irrlicht 1.1 doesn't compile on MacOS X (unless you download it from SVN). Besides that there is also no DLL on OSX (i.e. framework), the "libMacOSX.a" is compiled directly into the app. I'm not sure how much of a problem that is in BMX. I'm ready to help out.

Re: MacOS X support

greetings jonas smile  any and all help is much appreciated.  i wont be able to get to trying it out again until after i get the 1.1 compatible mods released (looks like i might be on target for late wednesday night).  as for assistance, i need a libIrrlicht.a for Mac OSX and Mac Intel OSX.  the caveat is the compiler used to build them needs to be GCC3.3 in order for BMAX to be able to link in the binary (at least thats the theory anyways).  i have a mac intel, but i couldnt get the GCC 3.3 compiler to work in xcode.

heres a question...  can MacOSX build a dynlib and does LoadLibrary work on MacOSX?  it might be easier to dynamically link.

greetings jonasled smile  by chance do you have a ".a" universal file that i can try out?  i tried compiling the 1.1 source direct and it came up with errors.

well i have some really fantastic news to report and some really crappy news to report. 

i have successfully compiled and ran the HelloWorld Irrlicht sample on my Intel Mac Mini.  that is simply fantastic. 

the bad news is that is the only example i could get to run and even then the texture did not work...  that is really, really crappy.  some of the things that were causing crashes i know how to fix.  essentially anywhere a wchar was used it crashed.  thats easy.  many of the other crashes were on direct calls to Irrlicht.  now its entirely possible that the Irrlicht interface has changed enough between straight Irrlicht v1.1 that the mod was built on and the version jonasled had to compile.  if the interfaces are different even slightly, crashes will occur.

@jonasled - thank you very much.  i would like to rely upon you to compile v1.2 when it comes out if you are willing?  also, how many of the demos have you successfully run?

i will work out as many kinks as i can in the meantime...

11 (edited by jonasled 2006-09-15 16:18:33)

I have downloaded your wrapper for 1.1. Interestingly I get mostly the same problems as on Mac. I made one discovery. The .ms3d format seems to work best. Unfortunately there is still endian issues with that loader on PPC Macs, so it doesn't solve my problem. I'm not sure I can recommend 1.1 yet. It still seems to be work in progress on both Mac and Win.

Great work by the way, with the wrapper. BlitzMax is a productivity tool and with Irrlicht it is getting even better.

i would agree.  the loaders have been significantly changed and are really in sad shape in v1.1.  there are confirmed problems with both OBJ and 3DS formats.  with all the fixes, i think v1.1 has more problems than v1.0 did.  looking forward to v1.2.

on a side note, the problems you mentioned...  are they crashes or just problems with the engine iteself?  i would like to investigate any crashes as they may be related to the redesign of the mod.