1 (edited by kimgar 2007-04-13 07:44:09)

Topic: .X poly limit?

unfortunately i am bound to work with enourmous amounts of data, but i've managed to export and import to irrlicht  a 1.3 million poly .X using
pandasoft exporter for max (could not get the polytrans .X format to work...).

BUT, when collapsed to a single object, this object causes bmax to stall forever, and i read something on the irrlicht forums about a 65,000 limit regarding the .X format in 2005, and that a fix could be expected for later versions.

nvidia FX composer loads my .X file amazingly fast and painless, so i am wondering if there is still a limit in irrlicht? if so, does anyone know exactly what is the limit?

...and lastly, this is just a static object, would .X still be a preferred file format?

wow, finding a good export workflow is a science in itself smile

Re: .X poly limit?

not sure about .X specifically but i would say yes its still a limit.  until they decide to support integer data instead of short data for their vertex info Irrlicht pretty much has this limitation all around.  now, i think you can do some creative things in breaking your single mesh into smaller portions.

yep, that's what i've been doing so far - it just seems 'cleaner' to work with a single object rather that 100.000 small ones smile

anyways, thanks for the input - i will continue my search for a smooth export/import workflow...

4 (edited by kimgar 2007-04-13 11:25:24)

ahhh, for some reason that bugger suddenly loaded, and i could see the debug ouput:

Could not draw triangles, too many primitives(302470), maxium is 65535

...so yes, a limit is confirmed smile